Our History

Our History

Where we've been....

Palestine's First Baptist Church can trace its history to 1851, five years after Palestine was founded as the Anderson County seat.  Ten charter members met to organize the congregation.  They met for worship in Bascom Chapel, which they shared with members of other early Palestine churches.

When the Baptists acquired land and b built a sanctuary in 1852-53. they became knows as Old Town Baptist Church and hosted the Baptist State Convention in 1854.  In 1879 the church hosted Palestine's first revival meeting, and in 1887 the Congregation completed a new building and became knows as Avenue A Baptist Church.

Who we are...

The third name change came about when the members outgrew their 1887 building and completed a new sanctuary in 1912 on Sycamore.  Since then, the congregation has been called First Baptist Church of Palestine.  

The church and community of Palestine grew during the 20th century.  The congregation helped start new churches in the area.  Then, after 90 years at the Sycamore location, the congregation relocated to new facilities on Loop 256 in 2003.  Here, the congregation continues its commitment to mission and ministry.

Where we are headed...

Our mission is to live a life transformed by His indwelling presence; exalt God by dynamic public and personal worship; spread the Good News of God's love by all means, among all people; teach and train His followers by the Word of God; serve Christ by carrying ministry to others.  Through worship, Bible study, Discipleship training, and personal commitment we strive to have the faith that witnesses to others about God's love in our lives. Our goal is to reach and to teach others about this love.